LIFE LESSONS FROM MY DAD
My dad was a gentle, quiet man but when he spoke, we listened. It was a good thing I did (I can’t speak for my siblings) because I learned a lot.
Here is my dad with my older brother.
1. Dad taught me to drive. One of the vehicles I practiced in was an old-fashioned VW beetle complete with absence of inside heater. Brr. He often said, look about and think what you would do if something happened such as someone crossing the middle line and heading for you.
LIFE LESSON: Be prepared for unexpected events in life and be ready to adjust your course.
And don’t let pride get in your way.
2. Dad loved finding a good gravel pit. It was part of his job but it also offered the possibility of finding fossils. We soon learned what to look for and shared the excitement of finding something.
A sample of discovered fossils.
LIFE LESSON: Things are not always as they appear on the surface. Look beyond the surface, the first impression, to discover the gem within.
3. ‘Don’t make me get the razor strap.’ We didn’t hear it often but the words were enough to make me stop misbehaving.
LIFE LESSON: Keep ignoring rules or directives or instructions and there will usually be unsavory consequences. So change the oil in your vehicle when it needs it. Take the antibiotic until it’s gone. You know the sort of stuff I mean.
4. My dad did very detailed lessons on the Old Testament Tabernacle. He showed us what each little aspect represented and believe me, it did. My mother drew lovely charts of everything from the candelabra to the covering curtain. (I couldn’t find any pictures that weren’t copyrighted. But if you want to see some go here.
LIFE LESSON: Dig deep for hidden meanings that are like nuggets of gold. See beyond the surface. Have you looked at the details of the flowers in your garden? Noted the variety of clouds in the sky? Explored the history of your area? You might be pleasantly surprised by what you discover. You might even be challenged and encouraged.
5. Dad taught me about God and the value of faith in the Almighty.
LIFE LESSON: Me earthly father was a good man, and a great father. God is my heavenly father and he is even greater.
What life lessons did your father give you? I’d love to hear.
LIFE LESSONS FROM MY DAD — No Comments
HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>